Tiger Spring

optimism, vision, and other delusions of an ambitioius mind

Monday, November 15, 2004

Frustrations on having the world change under you.



The last 6 months have been a blur. I've:
  • adopted css
  • learned ruby
  • decided I really *hate* perl, despite having big one of it's largest supporters in the past
  • become obsessed with rubyonrails
  • learned design (by following 37signals websites across the net, among others).

    I'm tired! And my brain is somewhat fried. I've lost some of my confidence I had before, but I'm very confident that things are moving in the right direction. Having so much change so fast is difficult (i.e. I really thought THAT code was BEAUTIFUL before? Argh!)

    And I'm realizing that none of these things I've learned are a silver bullet (to pull a term from the Mythical Man Month). Designing a complex site is still a pain in the butt. And 'porting' code I've written over the last 5 years is a huge, painful project.

    Still, I'm excited for the future. I just need to catch my breath, and not be so hard on myself when things take longer than I want. Optimism can be a curse when you end up pushing yourself too hard!

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home